The boneless, skinless chicken breast is the LBD of the healthy kitchen. Little Black Dress. You can dress it up for a night on the town with recipes inspired by the south of France with white, wine, lemon and capers.
Or you can go casual with BBQ sauce or an Italian inspired topping of tomato, garlic and herbs.
So let’s accessorize our breasts by taking chicken breasts on a world taste tour. You can watch the recipes come together by watching this segment on NBC Atlanta & Company.
The recipe suggestions are from my book The Dish on Eating Healthy and Being Fabulous!
First, here are some tips from The Dish for preparing perfectly browned and tender boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
A Simple Chicken Breast Sauté:
- Remove the excess fat and sinew from the boneless, skinless chicken breast.
- Place shiny side down on cutting board and cover with sheet of wax paper.
- Pound breast with wooden kitchen mallet or a rolling pin to even thickness.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat sauté pan and add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom.
- Add the chicken breasts, without crowding the pan.
- When a half inch of white shows on the sides of each breast, turn over with tongs.
- Cook until firm to touch and juices run clear. Set aside on clean plate.
Now it’s time to accessorize!
Lemon Caper Chicken – (After sautéing the chicken breasts and setting aside) Deglaze the pan with white wine, add rinsed capers, very thin slices of lemon, and minced parsley. Add chicken breasts back to pan to warm in sauce and serve with golden potatoes.
Tomato Garlic Chicken – (After sautéing the chicken breasts and setting aside) Add chopped garlic to the pan, chopped tomato, tomato paste and red wine vinegar. Place chicken breasts back in pan to warm with sauce and serve with pasta.
Taste of Thai Chicken – (After sautéing chicken breasts and setting aside) Stir in sliced scallions and sliced shitake mushrooms, remove from pan and stir in tamari sauce (a slightly thicker soy sauce), rice wine vinegar and a teaspoon of peanut butter.
Add the scallions and mushrooms back to the pan and the chicken breasts to warm. Serve with steamed brown rice.
Green Chile Chicken- (After sautéing the chicken breasts and setting aside) Deglaze pan with chicken broth, add chopped scallions, minced jalapenos, long thin slivers of mild green chiles (such as poblano). Optional: whisk in a quarter cup of light cream to finish the sauce. Add chicken back to pan to warm and serve with black beans and rice.
I’d love for you to have your very own copy of The Dish! Why not order the paperback edition on Amazon.com to keep in your world inspired kitchen?
Share this on: