If you’ve got a ‘foodie’ on your holiday gift list or someone who wants to become one in the New Year here are some simple, affordable and fun suggestions in the culinary category.
Watch the segment with Christine Pullara and me with all of the gift ideas on NBC Atlanta & Company right here!
“The designers in the housewares industry are truly ‘building a better mousetrap or cheese knife’ every day,” says Mary S. Moore, owner and founder of Atlanta based Cook’s Warehouse. “For instance the tofu press has totally changed and made effortless the process of removing moisture from tofu, from hours of squeezing to placing in a press and walking away. There are thousands of examples of this kind of ‘aha and/or duh’ innovation.”
Healthy eating begins with healthy cooking and the easier the tasks become the easier it will be to enjoy time in the kitchen preparing meals to help support weight management goals all year round.
Gifts for Healthy Cooking
- Salad spinner- create a gourmet gift basket and fill the salad spinner with olive oils, mustards and vinegars for making vinaigrettes.
- Slow cooker- one of the best ways to tenderize tasty cuts of lean meat in stews packed with tasty vegetables.
- Non-stick pans – great for sautéing vegetables with just a little bit of oil.
- Microplane grater – for zesting citrus and grating hard cheeses and whole spices.
- Great gadgets – make fruit and vegetable prep a breeze and a lot of fun with produce specific gadgets such as a jalapeno corer, cherry pitter, citrus juicer, strawberry huller, avocado cuber, garlic peeler and ginger grater.
- Specialty spices – more expensive spices like cardamom, vanilla, saffron, smoked paprika and curry powders are elegant gifts to add flavor without sodium and healthy antioxidants with no calories.
- Immersion blender – make rich and creamy textured soups and sauces from cooked vegetables without the need for much or any cream.
- Spiralizer- to make oodles of ‘zoodles’, these great gadgets turn vegetables such as zucchini into pasta-like swirls.
- Cooking classes – great gift for the gourmet or the kitchen beginner.
Moore, who offers over 800 cooking classes per year, says, “Our most popular cooking class is Knife Skills 101. It’s a great building block and helps the student to become more confident in their abilities and feel more at ease in the kitchen.”
Fit for Fitness
- Fitness sensors – they just keep getting better and better and even talk to your smart phone! Wearable digital fitness bands keep track of activity, food intake, and sleep patterns.
- Fitness Gear – Clothes or equipment for an activity someone does or wants to try such as yoga or Pilates mat, yoga blocks, hiking poles, sports specific workout clothes and shoes.
Gifts for Gardeners
- Little garden kits – Snip fresh herbs to add healthy seasonal taste to recipes. Small decorative containers of grow–your-own fresh herbs can sprout now on winter windowsills.
- Big garden help – wrap up a brand new shovel, rake, or garden hose and attach vegetable seeds packets to plant in the spring.
The Ruffino Bruschetta Board by Noble Goods is hand crafted from walnut and is designed to beautifully display toppings for bruschetta such as olives, cheese, roasted red peppers and hummus. And introducing the perfect stemware for enjoying Champagne. Meet the Riedel Veritas Champagne Wine glass. Yes, even better than Champagne flutes for savoring the delicate nuances of Champagne.
Merry Christmas and happy shopping!
Share this on: